Error Code P092D is defined as Gear Shift Lock Solenoid/Actuator Control Circuit “B” High. This is a generic trouble code, meaning it applies to all vehicles equipped with the OBD-II system, especially those made since 1996 up to the present. Specifications on the definition, troubleshooting, and repairs, of course, vary from one make and model to another.
To prevent unintended rollaway problems, modern vehicles are equipped with gear shift lock solenoids. When the PCM (powertrain control module) detects that all of the conditions are met (brake pedal engaged, gearshift lock buttons are pressed) to shift the vehicle out of Park safely, this solenoid will release and allow the transmission to shift into gear.
When Error Code P092D is stored when the powertrain control module (PCM) detects an abnormally high voltage reading, higher than the parameters set by the vehicle’s manufacturer in the gear shift lock solenoid/actuator control circuit “B”.
- Transmission unable to shift out of Park
This problem can be caused by a number of transmission problems, such as parking on a hill causing the parking pawl to lodge to On position. The most common possible causes include:
- Low level or dirty transmission fluid
- Low battery voltage
- Damaged connectors or wirings
- Damaged fuses or fusible links
- Faulty gearshift lock solenoid
- Defective brake light switch
How to Check
To diagnose this code, start by examining all the related connectors and wirings in the gear shift interlock solenoid. In many cases, the problem is caused by a shorted wire or liquid damage that spilled around the shifter.
Next, check the voltage of the batter, the fuses and fusible links, and the relays. Make sure to test them all and they meet the parameters.
Lastly, consider the brake lights and the condition of the transmission fluid.
How to Fix
- Replacing the transmission fluid and filter
- Charging or replacing the battery
- Repair or replacement of damaged wirings and connectors
- Replacement of blown fuses and fusible links
- Replacement of faulty gear shift interlock solenoid
- Replacement of faulty brake light switch
Since this error code keeps the vehicle from shifting out of Park, it will prevent vehicle owners from driving their vehicle.