Error Code P0943 is defined as Hydraulic Pressure Unit Cycling Period Too Short. This is a generic trouble code, meaning it applies to all vehicles equipped with the OBD-II system, especially those made since 1996 up to the present. Of course, specifications on the definition, troubleshooting, and repairs vary from one make and model to another.
Error Code P0943 is commonly found in vehicles manufactured by Chrysler or Volkswagen. However, it can also be seen in other vehicle brands like Ford.
When this code appears, it means the powertrain control module (PCM) is not working according to the pre-programmed parameters.
- Delayed gear changes
- Transmission unable to change gears
- Dirty or low transmission fluid
- Blocked or loose transmission cooler lines or filter
- Faulty transmission pump
- Clogged fluid passages inside the transmission valve body
- Defective transmission pressure regulator valve
How to Check
Start the diagnosis by performing a transmission line pressure test to find out whether the transmission pump is working properly. If it’s not, then it must be replaced.
Next, check the transmission fluid. Refill or replace as needed.
How to Fix
- Replacement of dirty or low transmission fluid
- Flushing of transmission
- Replacement of transmission cooler lines filter
- Replacement of transmission pump
- Replacement of transmission regulator valve
- Replacement, rebuilding, and installation of a remanufactured transmission
This error code is considered a serious problem, sees it causes the transmission pump to not produce enough hydraulic pressure for the transmission to run properly. It must be addressed immediately, as this could result in a catastrophic problem and damage to the transmission.