Error Code P0949 is defined as Auto Shift Manual Adaptive Learning Not Complete. This is a generic trouble code, meaning it applies to all vehicles equipped with the OBD-II system, especially those made since 1996 up to the present. Of course, specifications on the definition, troubleshooting, and repairs vary from one make and model to another.
The Transmission Control Module (TCM) monitors the signal from the Auto Shift Manual signal. When the signal from the said switch does not meet factory specifications, the error code will be set.
- Check engine light activated
- Defective Auto Shift Manual Shift
- Open or shorted harness in auto shift manual switch
- Poor electrical connection in auto shift manual switch circuit
How to Check
Start by visually inspecting the related connectors and switch harness. Look for any signs of damage and wear and tear, such as bent, broken, pushed out, or corroded connector pins. Repair or replace as needed.
How to Fix
- Repair or replacement of defective auto manual shift
- Repair or replacement of connectors or wirings in the auto manual shift switch
- Repair or replacement of faulty auto shift manual harness
- Adjust flawed PCM
This code is considered serious and may lead to further damage long term, so it must be addressed as soon as possible.