View all of the recalls for Tesla. We will help you identify any recalls issued for your vehicle and help you find a local service center. Find a shop near you.
28 Recalls for Tesla
Find recalls for your vehicle
Notes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Recall #10V458000 (10/01/2010)
- Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:BATTERY:CABLES
- Summary: TESLA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010 ROADSTER 2.0 AND 2.5 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 12V AUXILIARY CABLE. THE 12V AUXILIARY CABLE FOR THE LOW VOLTAGE BACK UP POWER SYSTEM MAY BE IMPROPERLY ROUTED. IF THE WIRE IS IMPROPERLY ROUTED, AND TRAPPED AGAINST THE WHEEL WELL COVER, THE WIRE MAY ABRADE AGAINST THE EDGE OF THE CARBON FIBER ARMATURE AND, OVER TIME, EXPOSE THE WIRE. CONTACT BETWEEN THE BARE WIRE AND CARBON FIBER MAY CAUSE A SHORT-CIRCUIT LEADING TO POSSIBLE ELECTRICAL ARCHING.
- Consequence: SHORT CIRCUIT AND ELECTRICAL ARCING COULD LEAD TO A FIRE IN THE RIGHT FRONT HEADLAMP AREA.
- What owners should do: TESLA MOTORS WILL CHECK THE ROUTING OF THE 12V AUXILIARY CABLE AND INSTALL A PROTECTIVE SLEEVE OVER THE WIRE FREE OF CHARGE. THIS WILL PREVENT MISROUTING AND PINCHING BY THE WHEEL WELL COVER. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON OCTOBER 31, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TESLA CUSTOMER SERVICE AT 877-888-3752.
Recall #09V178000 (05/26/2009)
- Component: WHEELS:CAP/COVER/HUB
- Summary: TESLA MOTORS, INC. IS RECALLING 345 MY 2008 TESLA ROADSTER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN MARCH 2008 AND APRIL 22, 2009. THE REAR HUB FLANGE BOLTS ON SOME OF THESE VEHICLES MAY BE UNDER-TORQUED AND MAY BECOME LOOSE. A LOOSE HUB COULD LEAD TO DEGRADATION IN VEHICLE HANDLING, AND A RUBBING NOISE FROM THE REAR OF THE VEHICLE.
- Consequence: IF THE PROBLEM IS NOT ADDRESSED PROMPTLY, THE DRIVER COULD LOSE CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE, WHICH COULD LEAD TO A CRASH.
- What owners should do: TESLA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPAIR THE VEHICLES FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON MAY 28, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TESLA TOLL-FREE AT 1-877-888-3752.
Recall #13V249000 (06/14/2013)
- Component: SEATS
- Summary: Tesla Motors, Inc. (Tesla) is recalling certain model year 2013 Model S electric vehicles manufactured May 10, 2013, through June 8, 2013. An improper method for aligning the left hand seat back striker to the bracket may have weakened the weld between the bracket and the frame of the vehicle.
- Consequence: In the event of a crash, the left hand seat back may not stay mounted, increasing the risk of injury to passengers.
- What owners should do: Tesla will notify owners, and Tesla Service Centers will inspect the left hand second row strikers. Tesla will add additional mounting hardware to ensure a proper joint between the bracket and the frame, free of charge. The recall began on June 24, 2013. Owners may contact Tesla at 1-650-681-5000.
Recall #14V006000 (01/13/2014)
- Component: EQUIPMENT:ELECTRICAL
- Summary: Tesla Motors, Inc. (Tesla) is recalling certain model year 2013 Model S vehicles equipped for, and delivered with, certain NEMA 14-50 (240 volt) Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) adapters. During charging, the adapter, cord, or wall outlet could overheat.
- Consequence: An overheated adapter, cord, or wall outlet increases the risk of burn injury and/or fire.
- What owners should do: Tesla will notify owners and provide an "over-the-air" software update. Some owners have already received this update. This update allows the Model S on board charging system to detect any unexpected fluctuations in the input power or higher resistance connections to the vehicle. If detected, the onboard charging system will automatically reduce the charging current by 25%. Tesla owners can verify that they have received the updated software (version 5.8.4 or later) by viewing the vehicle's center information screen. Additionally, Tesla will mail owners a replacement NEMA 14-50 adapter that is equipped with an internal thermal fuse. The recall began on March 14, 2014. Owners may contact Tesla Service Center at 1-877-79-TESLA (1-877-798-3752).
Recall #16V192000 (04/06/2016)
- Component: SEATS:MID/REAR ASSEMBLY
- Summary: Tesla Motors, Inc. (Tesla) is recalling certain model year 2016 Model X vehicles manufactured September 29, 2015, to March 30, 2016. In the affected vehicles, the third row seat back may move forward under load such as in a frontal collision. As such, the vehicles do not conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 207, "Seating Systems."
- Consequence: If the third row seat does not remain in its adjusted position, there may be an increased risk of injury to an occupant in the event of a crash.
- What owners should do: Tesla will notify owners, and dealers will replace all affected third row seats, free of charge. The recall began on April 20, 2016. Owners may contact Tesla customer service at 1-844-248-3752 or by email at [email protected] Tesla's number for this recall is SB-16-13-003